Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Comments on week 3 readings

This week's readings were Stelarc's essay: "Towards the Post-Human: From Psycho-Body to Cyber-System" (1995) and the 6th chapter of Mark's book "Escape Velocity" named "Cyborging the Body Politic: obsolete Bodies & Post-Human Beings"
These two readings were, I found, a little disturbing. I have forced myself to open my mind up more and look at the subjects presented in class subjectively but I cannot. I find these people too weird. I see the body as a gift, and the way I was raised taught me that a gift is to never be returned. That's what I feel about these people, they don't like their body or don't care about it, and test it and/or find new ways to prove its obsoleteness. Stelarc thinks that the body is obsolete and focuses on the essence of the mind. He sees the body as "a waste of space" in our world today. I can understand that people have this feeling in them that tells them to keep looking forward and write the future, but this "writing" is just wrong. We know humans are not perfect, that we are weak and vulnerable to physical and emotional assaults, but what else do we know? we know that we DON'T know what we are doing on this planet but live, the ultimate challenge. Why replacing our lives and nature's gifts with man-made devices when you have the original ones that work perfectly? (I am referring here to his arm example) . to be stronger? to be faster? I feel this is all caused by the way our society functions today, we need to be the best all the time in every domain under every circumstances....but for what? whsat do you actually get at the end of all this but the small satisafction which needs to be repeated in order to continue. When you take life as it is, and learn the hard way, the way natures wants you to, this is when the mind elevates itself, when you have self-taught yourself something is when you reach a new level of spirituality, and this is when you can make your body obsolete. You will not need to satisfy a body need to fell better, your mind will overcome it ( in the limits of health preservation of course).

link: http://www.safemachines.com/implementationsFour.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home